No one ever realizes that the drinks that they cherish the most can come with certain hidden ingredients that they least expected them to have. In fact, several studies have been conducted on the same that revealed stunningly surprising results. Even though international health regulatory authorities have only recommended the intake of a certain amount of sucrose regularly, certain drinks contain the same in larger doses than allowed. This could make you wonder – does beer have sugar in it? If yes, how much sugar is in beer?
Several experts around the world have opposed the manufacturers of alcoholic drinks by demanding that taxes need to be imposed on those who add excessive sucrose in them. So, it is imperative that you peruse a table that contains a list of alcoholic beverages and the sucrose levels in each of them such as the one below.
Table – Drinks (Vodka, Wine, Whiskey, Gin, Rum)
|Alcoholic Drink Type||Sugar Content (per 100 grams in a drink)|
|Alcoholic beverage, liqueur, coffee, 53 proof||46.42|
|Alcoholic beverage, pina colada, prepared-from-recipe||22.33|
|Alcoholic beverage, wine, dessert, sweet||7.78|
|Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, white||0.96|
|Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, red||0.62|
|Alcoholic beverage, beer, light||0.09|
|Alcoholic beverage, beer, regular, all||0.00|
|Alcoholic beverage, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey) 80 proof||0.00|
|Alcoholic beverage, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey) 86 proof||0.00|
|Alcoholic beverage, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey) 90 proof||0.00|
Good Choices To Drink
Experts recommend that no more than one alcoholic drink per day for women and two alcoholic drinks for men. If light beers are available, it is better to opt for those brands. If you are fond of mixed drinks, it is best to go with soft mixers like water and avoid very sugary mixes, which can be dangerous.
Glycemic indices around the world can tell you how much saccharose is contained in each drink you consume every day. Some drinks such as red wine do contain lesser saccharose, but it would be better to enjoy even the milder ones only occasionally. Even scientific evidence suggests the same.
Beverages of alcoholic nature need not be labeled with the contents that could reveal how much saccharose they contain. So, it would be difficult to know the truths about them. On the other hand, tests that were conducted in laboratories around the world revealed the true contents of such drinks.
Setting The Limits
Even if you know how much sugar is in beer, it is imperative that you set some limits for yourself before you can begin consuming some. In fact, it can be astonishing to know that brew can have the least amount of saccharose in it as compared to the other alcoholic beverages.
Even then, a drink that contains at least 200 calories can be on the higher side. Nobody likes to experience tooth decays and insulin-related health complications that result from an excessive consumption of sucrose based products. So, try not to ingest cocktails that can contain more saccharose than the milder ones. Since people aren’t sure of the actual quantity of sucrose in the different varieties of alcohol, they should consume them sensibly.
Knowing Your Drinks
Some beverages that are alcoholic in nature can protect your heart from diseases that can otherwise harm the health. So, it is necessary to know that people who consume them need to moderate the levels of intake of the same. On the other hand, adding a few mixers to the beverages can limit the saccharose levels in them.
Even universities around the world agree with the results of the variegated studies that have been conducted about the sucrose levels in the different alcohols. Of course, there are other natural alternatives to such drinks if one wishes to ingest them for better heart health but not everyone prefers consuming them because of personal preferences.
Don’t Go By The Misleading Results
Certain study results could be misleading enough to make people still wonder whether what they learned before was right at all. Nonetheless, there are some other things they would need to know such as the limits within which they can ingest the drinks of their choice.
It is necessary to remember that the saccharose levels in these beverages are not inclusive of those in the foods they ingest daily. Once again, it is imperative to know that consuming alcohols regularly can lead to cancer and other diseases due to the number of calories present in each one of them. Today, the consumption levels continue to rise as compared to thirty years ago, but the rate at which it is going up is quite alarming.
So, even if the laws around the world with regards to including nutritional and other information on cover labels vary a lot, it is necessary that you verify the same by visiting the website of the manufacturer of your preferred drink.
Do not ever go by the misleading results of certain studies that can be easily found on the internet. Instead, do some homework on your own, so that you feel satisfied with having verified the truths for yourself.
Precautions To Take BEFORE, WHILE and AFTER Drinking
Here are some important things for you to make a note of:
- It is good to take your meals and your medications as a precaution before you start to drink. It is also best if you can keep a constant check on your glucose levels even while drinking.
- To avoid any mishaps, it is best to keep a dose for hypoglycemia- low sugar. A few glucose pills should do it.
- As a backup, it is safe to let someone know what the symptoms of blood sugar are and what to do in case you need help.
- Also know, that glycogen doesn’t work when alcohol present in the body. If required keep someone informed, especially in public spaces of your condition, to call an ambulance if a need arises.
- Consuming carbohydrate-rich foods always helps when drinking alcohol. This prevents from low sugar.
- It is better that you pour your drinks, being aware of how much alcohol you are taking in. Stretching your drinks with sugar-free mixes should help.
- Take in extra carbohydrates, in the case of any physical activities like playing a sport,
- Slow drinking will be fruitful. It will be best if you can make your second drink without any alcohol.
- It is important to get your blood sugar checked before going to bed and notice the level if it is low.
- In case, it is low, have a carbohydrate snack before going to bed. Keep a responsible person informed of your condition.
- Set the alarm at the middle of the night or early in the morning. A delayed hypoglycemia- low sugar can occur anytime in a time span of 24 hours.
- Remember to wake up in time for your insulin and to take proper meal and your medication. Missing your insulin can lead to high blood sugar.