Diabetes is a condition where the level of glucose in your body is high. This happens because either the body is not producing insulin or the insulin secreted is not enough or the body is not sensitive to the insulin produced. Insulin is a hormone that helps in carrying the glucose from the blood into the cells, converting it into energy. There are a lot of ways to cure diabetes, but the only best way is- Home Remedies. Let us look at some of the home remedies for diabetes.
Types Of Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes: This type of diabetes usually occurs mostly in small children due to hereditary issues. It happens because the pancreas is not able to produce insulin and the children will have to take shots from a very young age. Taking insulin is unavoidable.
Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes occurs in adults. This is because the insulin produced by the pancreas is not enough or it does not work. Another reason might be because the body is not sensitive to the insulin produced. Taking insulin shots are not mandatory until after many years of diagnosis.
Gestational Diabetes: This kind of diabetes occurs only in pregnant women. It occurs generally during the 24th week. This does not mean that you had diabetes before pregnancy or will have diabetes after pregnancy. It comes only during pregnancy, though it is important to follow your doctor’s advice to keep your sugar levels intact.
10 Best Home Remedies For Diabetes
1. Bitter Gourd
Bitter Gourd is one of the best home remedies to treat diabetes. known for its medicinal values, especially for diabetes. It has blood glucose lowering effects that induce glucose metabolism all over the body instead of a particular tissue or organ.
- Remove the seeds of 2-3 bitter gourds and extract its juice using a grinder. Add this mixture to water and drink this on an empty stomach for at least 2 months.
- You can also include a dish with bitter gourd on a daily basis.
Cinnamon stimulates insulin activity and hence lowers blood sugar levels. Bioactive compounds in cinnamon help prevent and fight diabetes. Though it should not be taken in excess, as it can cause liver damage.
- Boil 2-4 cinnamon sticks in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. You can drink this until you see improvements.
- Alternatively, you can mix one and a half teaspoons of powdered cinnamon with warm water. Drink this on a daily basis. Cinnamon can also be added to warm beverages and baked goods.
3. Black Plums
The Black Plum, otherwise called as “Jamun“ is a native of India and found in many countries as well. The whole plant like the leaves, the berry and the seeds are known to have hypoglycemic effects that are used for diabetes. It reduces the glucose in the blood and the urine rapidly.
- This fruit is seasonal and hence you can add it your diet as much as possible. You can also make a powder of the seeds and take it with water twice a day.
- The Black Plum or the Jambul will be available in Asian market stores.
4. Aloe Vera & Bay Leaves
Aloe Vera gel contains phytosterols which have hypoglycemic effects. This is useful for reducing glucose levels, more for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Take one and a half teaspoon of ground bay leaves and one tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- Mix them. Consume this mixture twice daily. This should be taken before lunch and dinner.
5. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves consists of anti-diabetic properties which controls sugar. It is known to reduce the rate at which starch is broken down into glucose.
- Simply chew ten fresh curry leaves on an empty stomach in the morning. Repeat this for 3-4 months.
- This also helps to reduce obesity and high cholesterol levels.
6. Fenugreek Seeds
This stimulates the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin. Due to its hypoglycemic activity, it is known for reducing blood glucose levels.
- Have two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds along with milk every day.
- You can also soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and drink that water along with the seeds. This can be followed for a few months.
7. Eat Guava Fruit
Guava is rich in Vitamin C and high in fiber content. This again helps in controlling your sugar levels. Peel off the skin, as it is not recommended for diabetic patients. Having too much of guava is also not advisable. One guava a day can help in bringing your sugar levels down.
8. Indian Gooseberry
The Indian Gooseberry is otherwise known as the “Amla”. Since this is rich in Vitamin C, it helps in the proper functioning of the pancreas.
- Take 2-3 gooseberries and grind it into a fine paste. Put this mixture into a cloth and squeeze out the juice. Take two tablespoons of this juice and mix it with water. Drink this daily on empty stomach for better results.
- You can mix one tablespoon of this juice in one cup of bitter gourd juice and drink it daily, for better results.
9. Mango Leaves
Tender mango leaves are one of the best home remedies for diabetes. When this remedy is followed regularly, it cures the diseases in a very short time. It assists in regulating the insulin levels as well as the blood lipid profiles. To try this remedy at home, follow the steps given below:
- You can soak 10-15 tender mango leaves overnight and filter this water in the morning. This water can be taken on an empty stomach on a daily basis.
- These leaves can also be dried in the shade and ground. This mixture of about one and a half teaspoons can be taken daily, two times a day.
10. Drumstick Leaves
This is otherwise known as “Moringa Leaves“. It is well known for its energy. It helps to decrease hunger and slows down the breakdown of food. This is essential for people with diabetes.
- Take a few leaves and grind them into a juice.
- Drink about 1/4th of this cup of juice every morning on an empty stomach. It will reduce the sugar levels.
Hope this helps you in treating your diabetes. Though some of it is a little work or the taste might be bad, health always comes first. After a little while, you will start getting used to it and your health will start to improve. As long as it works and you feel fit and better, what else do we need!